1. Sit with your pet inside a parked car with the engine off.
2. Make your pet feel comfortable by providing treats or playing with the pet in the car.
3. Sit outside the car, a comfortable distance away, and play with your pet if he or she is too anxious to eat or play inside the vehicle.
4. Move closer to the car over a period of days or weeks until your pet feels comfortable playing next to it.
5. Get into the car once your pet is feeling comfortable being around it, and give your pet time to get used to these new surroundings.
6. Over a period of weeks, begin turning the engine on and off, and progress to driving up and down the driveway.
7. Take a spin around the block. Eventually, take the animal for longer car rides.
BACK TO INDEX